Saturday, April 28, 2007

prato adventure

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Yesterday after class I headed out to Prato.  It is only 18km from Florence and supposedly it is a small city.  The sole reason to go to Prato was to catch Daniel Spoerri's exhibition.  I saw his advert on a pamphlet of exhibitions to check out in April.  I was excited to see him since I have been tired of all this gothic, renaissance stuff.  I recommend Madrid to anyone because you can have the feel of the old and new in one city.  Madrid is just an amazing place. I like Florence, but the whole city is infested with all this old art.  I studied it, and like to see it, but hell yah I am tired of looking at it.  Prato was a breathe of fresh air because it had all those old and new sensibilities.  The old town center is small and covers only 2 blocks.  Sometimes I can get retarded and think oh, I can walk this, and then I realized the place I want to get to is far. I took the train and got off on the second Prato stop.  I didn't have a map, so I was looking aimlessly for tourist offices, but no luck whatsoever.  Finally I spotted a hotel, and with luck he spoke english and gave me a map. On the map, it didn't look far, but actually taking that walk of 2 km, it was far!  The route to get there was not scenic at all, so the walk did feel long.  I did manage to find the place, and so that is why there is an abundant of pictures because I was just giddy that I actually made it.  I was not planning to walk back, so I manage to find another hotel and asked them where to purchase tickets.  Prato has an easy bus system because there is only 2 buses, red and blue.  It is pretty straightforward and I was just thinking to myself, why didn't I ask earlier.  Nevertheless, it was an adventure because even in the train station, stamping my ticket was a task, and even finding the platform. I have an angel on my side for sure because I made it back in Florence at a decent time, and even manage to buy wine at the local store that a classmate suggested to me.  yay!!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Today, I went to the Bargello and it was an enjoyable experience since it was not as crowded, and there were some good art to see. I can always laugh how ridiculous some of the female sculptures are. They have amazing muscles and boobs like tennis balls! You couldn't take any pictures at the Bargello, but that doesn't stop me, I manage to sneak some but did get caught.  I'm thinking, these sculptures manage to stay intact out in the sunlight and are made of materials that can withstand anything, and I can't take a pic, even on museum function on my Nikon, retarded! 

No comments: