Thursday, September 4, 2008

moca free thursdays

Photobucket
picLately I've had tons of time to kill because school mode is officially over and somehow your suppose to get back to life mode in a snap of a finger. When I was in school, my mantra would be "When I'm done, I have to do this, or that, or go here...", quiet difficult with my limited resources and gas prices nowadays, I have to really think if I should trek out to San Mo or even the farmer's market on Fairfax. Nevertheless, downtown L.A. is fairly close to my house and MOCA is free on Thursdays after 5pm. I have been meaning to catch the current exhibition of Marlene Dumas because, a) she currently resides in Amsterdam, so there would be lots of racy art, and b) get myself out of this San Fernando Valley heat!
Reflection of the art: Not as racy as I thought. I like her themes of children, pregnant women, the dead, and the female nude, but she could have pushed the envelope a bit more. There weren't as provocative as MOCA made it out to be and it was a bit dreary, but not dreary enough to make me swoon. Overall, you really can't go wrong because it was free and I got to do something different in a late afternoon.

No comments: