Sunday, November 14, 2010

a hello kitty sunday

hk3
In honor of Sanrio's 50th anniversary, they decided to turn the Santa Monica Barker Hanger into a festival of cute dedicated to the characters we have grown to love during the wonder years.  I was excited to partake in this special event because it brings out the little kid in me who collected Sanrio erasers and pencils. I have been receiving Sanrio pencils, erasers and pencil boxes as gifts since I can remember. My mother would pretend they were presents from Santa Claus because at a young age I believed a fat dude with a beard would hand out gifts.  As a tween, I would save my allowance and every Saturday my parents would take us to the mall. The first stop would be the Sanrio store and see what I can buy for 10 bucks. I had to save a ton of moola to even afford a big plush animal. With my lack of resources, I end up buying an eraser or a mechanical pencil to fill up my stamp cards and to receive the little token when you buy something at the store.
pencil box
My favorite character was Ahiru No Pekkle because my favorite color is blue. I immediately bought anything Ahiru No Pekkle and had a fairly decent size collection.  I felt a whole lot of nostalgia perusing around the extravaganza along with my sistahs.
hk2
The festival consisted of games, food trucks, a ferris wheel, smart cars, art and of course some shopping.
hk1
Here I am, waiting patiently for some Sanrio collectibles. Seriously, a line to spend money, Priceless.
Tada... The End!hk4
P.S. Check out my flickr account for all my pictures. Especially the art portion. There were lot's of great kitschy art.
Click here!

2 comments:

sisters in black frocks said...

fun! i was a keropi fan myself =)

aminosea said...

it sure was a lot of fun. my sis luvs keroppi. check it out theeven when u can.