Monday, May 17, 2010

exit through the gift shop

exit through the gift shop

It's the best documentary I have seen up to now. It's about a guy who shoots videos as a hobby and decides to make a documentary about graffiti artists. He sought for the most elusive and mysterious graffiti artist out there, Banksy. When he finally has the opportunity to shoot Banksy, the pseudo filmmaker becomes a graffiti artist himself. He finds success and is considered to be reckoned with in the Art world. It's such a brilliant documentary because it raises the question what is art? Is it art because there is so much hype about the work or is their talent behind the creations. After the documentary, I questioned Banksy's exhibition in L.A. a few years back. It was a strange art show because he is well known as a stencil graffiti artist, yet he had sculptures to paintings galore. I thought it was a joke because I didn't believe him to be a fine artist. I consider graffiti artists as rebels of the art world. I can go on and on about this documentary because it raises more questions than answers about Banksy. Either way, try to catch it one of these free week nights when your looking to be amused. Oh, btw, I saw it at a Landmark movie theatre and I fell in luv with that place. They have couches as movie seats and it felt like I was watching it at home amongst other strangers. Note to self, more movie watching in a Landmark movie theatre.

No comments: